BadgerCare Plus

BadgerCare Plus featured image

Badger Care PlusMy Benefits

BadgerCare Plus is a Wisconsin Medicaid Program that provides health insurance to low-income adults and families.

How do I apply for BadgerCare Plus?

You can apply for BadgerCare Plus at You can also contact your local Income Maintenance agency to find out how to apply by phone, in-person or using a paper application.

Who can have BadgerCare Plus?

You must be a resident of Wisconsin to receive Medicaid coverage through the BadgerCare Plus Program. You must also be a U.S. citizen or qualified immigrant. The following people may be eligible for BadgerCare Plus if they also meet specific financial criteria:

  • Children.
  • Parents, Caretaker Relatives.
  • Certain former foster care youth ages 18-26.
  • Adults without minor children ages 19-64.

What reporting responsibilities do I have?

You are expected to report changes in your income, household, and tax-filing status within 10 days to your Income Maintenance agency while you are enrolled in BadgerCare Plus.

Financial eligibility

Financial eligibility for BadgerCare Plus depends on you and your family’s tax filing status and countable income.

  • There is no asset limit for BadgerCare Plus.
  • Adults and parents/caretaker relatives can have income up to 100% of the Federal Poverty Level for their group size.
  • Children are eligible with household income up to 306% of the Federal Poverty Level.
  • At some levels of income, there may be a monthly premium cost for children enrolled in the program.

What kind of income is counted?

In general, your taxable income is counted when your eligibility is determined. This chart includes common examples of income types counted and not counted by BadgerCare Plus:

Income Types Not Counted

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • W-2 Payments
  • Child Support
  • Worker’s Compensation
  • Veterans Benefits
  • Grants, scholarships, fellowships used for educational expenses
  • Student loans

Income Types Counted

  • Work Earnings of anyone expected to file taxes
  • Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Spousal Support
  • Pensions and Annuities
  • Interest Income and Dividends
  • Business and Rental Income

What if I Lose Eligibility?

Extensions: You and your family might qualify for a BadgerCare Pus Extension if your eligibility ends due to an increase in earned income or spousal support. Extensions can last from 4-12 months depending on the income change. You may be required to pay a premium while in a BadgerCare Plus Extension.

Alternative Health Insurance: You can apply for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act Healthcare Marketplace if your BadgerCare Plus eligibility ends. Many of these plans offer premium subsidies for people with limited income. Medicaid is another option. Talk to your benefits specialist.
For more information about enrolling in a Marketplace health insurance plan, visit: