Teens – Get Your Working Papers

Get Your Working PapersTeens

If you’re under 18, you may need to obtain working papers (officially called Employment/Age Certificates) in order to legally be able to work. You may be able to get the form at school. Otherwise, you can get one at your state Department of Labor.

Child labor permits (also known as “work permits”) are required for the lawful employment of minors under 18 years of age in work in connection with the business, trade, or profession of an employer.

Every child labor permit issued under the authority of Wis. Stat. § 103.70 shall also constitute a certificate of age under Wis. Stat. § 103.75, as long as the minor named in the permit continues in the employ of the employer named on the permit. Should the ownership of the business change, the minor would need to obtain a new work perm

What's Next?

If you are going to school, check with your Guidance Office for help in getting working papers.

Find out more!

Check out these resources for more information on this topic.

image of thumbs up

Child Labor Laws

Get information for workers, employers, and specific laws by state...

U.S. Department of Labor Website

image of a hand receiving money

Youth Worker Toolkit

Learn how the Youth Rules website helps teens on the job!

Youth Rules Website
Wisconsin USA

Wisconsin Employment of Minors and Work Permits

Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development